The clinical results are really impressive
Faye Donald, hygienist and trainer, Yorkshire
I had heard about BioMin® F but hadn’t had time to check out yet another toothpaste. I visited Trycare about 18 months ago to look at their GBT (guided biofilm therapy) units and got talking to David there. He talked me through the science behind BioMin F, provided samples, literature, links, and explanation, and I was interested. I tried it myself because I never recommend anything I haven’t tried personally. I like to consider the taste, how it feels - for example, do my teeth feel furry at the end of the day? I evaluate a product both immediately and then after using it for 2 and 4 weeks.
The taste was pleasant and my mouth felt clean. I tried it myself after having my teeth whitened. I had experienced sensitivity myself for the first time, put BioMin into a whitening tray and it was brilliant. It took the edge off the sensitivity. I think it is a good fit for patients who need it for a medicinal purpose or who have particular issues:
- Vegans. They need a toothpaste which provides what they may not get in non-mainstream toothpastes
- People who are against animal testing
- Specific groups, eg athletes who drink a lot of sports drinks and have erosion
- For patients post oral or head/neck cancers, who have have xerostomia/dry mouth problems. Because of the loss of saliva, they need the 12-hour protection that BioMin F offers
- Patients with xerostomia for other reasons, eg drug induced, from anti-anxiety or antidepressant therapy
- Pregnant women – especially those suffering with vomiting, acid reflux and those who need to snack between meals
- And of course patients suffering with dentine hypersensitivity.
- For patients who do not want to use a fluoride paste, but still need protection, I recommend BioMin C.
Cost is usually not an issue for people looking for a solution to a specific problem, but I suggest they compare it to the cost of a bottle of wine, or a face cream or hair product – which they would not hesitate to buy.
Patients are happy with the flavour, and come back asking for more. I am pleased because it is doing what I want it to do for those patients. I now use BioMin post scaling where pellicle has been removed and the tooth surface is exposed. I am also a Swiss Dental Academy trainer in guided biofilm therapy, and use BioMin F to protect the tooth once the pellicle has been removed. I simply use a gloved finger to apply BioMin F to the tooth surface.
I would recommend any fellow professional to go and look at the studies. Most patients are fine on supermarket brands, but there are some for whom you owe a particular duty of care and who need something more. You need products in your ‘toolkit’ for these groups of patients. The clinical trials are really impressive. The cost will always be an issue, but if it is the best product for patients with a particular problem, it is right for them. BioMin F ‘does exactly what it says on the tin’.